- Video modeling
- spark* Program
- Interesting ideas
- Small Talk
- Reach & Teach ASD
- Our Catalogue
- Upcoming events
- spark*EL Program
- Self-regulation in Everyday Life
- My Bio
- My philosophy
- Contact Me
Welcome to a positive outlook on children with special needs
COMING SOON!!! Self-regulation in Everyday Life – A How-to Guide for Parents – this book is for every parent who wants to help their child be better prepared for school and for life in general.
I’ve never met a child with autism who didn’t want to learn. We just have to figure out what it important and meaningful to him and present it in ways that make sense to him.
My main goal is to help other people recognize that each child with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) has learning preferences and strengths. I believe we need to get away from looking at people with ASD as disabled, disordered, impaired, less able or whatever term you have heard or use. If we nurture each child’s preferences and strengths, we can optimize his learning. We can give him the best chance to use his abilities and interests to improve his future. My next goal is to help children with ASD learn to modulate and modify their own behavior, thinking and emotions appropriately. That is, they learn to self-regulate. They don’t just rely on other people to tell them over and over what to do, when and where. I’ve learned a great deal over the years in working with children with ASD and I know they are capable of so much more independence and decision-making in their lives. You’ll find that the books I wrote and the other materials I developed reflect these goals. Have a look at the range of things we offer in our Catalog of Products and Services (be sure to turn up the volume to get full effect) or check out each topic below:
- Reaching and Teaching Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders – Using Learning Preferences and Strengths – this book presents my Learning Preferences and Strengths model with many examples of activities and resources that go with it.
- One Story at a Time – using the magic of storybooks to enhance development in children with learning challenges – this book describes how to select and use storybooks to address most areas of development in children with special needs.
- Coach’s Playbook video modeling series – How to Play with Others and Dealing with Frustration – these two videos use a coaching context to help children learn strategies for joining other children in play and for calming yourself when you feel frustrated.
- The Autistic Child’s Guide – Presenting spark* (Self-Regulation Program of Awareness and Resilience in Kids) – this is a step-by-step manual about how to teach children behavioral, cognitive and emotional self-regulation. Learn about spark* by
– going to the spark* Program page
– watching a presentation about self-regulation by Dr. MacKenzie
– visiting the spark* website now
- Find TabToob, the ultimate iPad protectors here